11/7/10

SCARY SLICE

The Journal-News.com reports: 
"When Will Weber’s blood began to stain the ice at Steve Cady Arena last Saturday night, the calmest person in the place might have been Will Weber.
“If I was seeing somebody else go through it, I’d probably be more scared,” said the Miami University junior defenseman, who is recovering from a serious laceration to his neck — 
one that required 100 stitches and 15 staples.
(Vaiver22)

He underwent surgery at University Hospital in Cincinnati to repair a sliced (but not severed) artery and now is back on campus.
The puck got wrapped around (the Miami goal),” Weber remembered. “I was just trying to poke it out of the zone and hit him (the Northern Michigan player) and I fell down and we both bounced off the boards, and I think he tried to keep himself up a little bit by holding onto the dasher (board) there and his fall was a little bit delayed behind mine. His back was up against the boards and (his skate) came right down.
“At first I thought I just got hit in the head pretty good,” he said. “I was down on all fours, just kind of looking at the ice, and then the kid said, ‘Are you alright?’
Usually if you hit someone you don’t ask them that. 

I guess he immediately saw the blood coming out. I reached for my neck and there was blood on my fingers, and I got up and the blood started coming out pretty good.
“It was like, alright, I’d better skate over to the bench,” Weber said. “I was thinking, man, this could be the real deal here, you know, this could be it. Luckily I was able to stay calm and keep my hand (on the wound). I was thinking as long as I don’t get light-headed I’ll be able to hold it there. I skated over to Jason Eckerle, the athletic trainer.”
Then Weber took his hand away from his neck.
“Blood started coming out,” he said. “Jason saw that the main artery wasn’t completely cut because otherwise the blood would have been shooting out pretty good. He just knew he had to put pressure on it. We walked right through the locker room back through the tunnel where the paramedics were. The process of getting me into the ambulance was pretty quick, they took me over to (McCullough-Hyde Hospital) and they called air lift to Cincinnati.
Despite his close call, Weber said he is more frustrated than anything else.
“I want to be playing right now,” he said. “We’ll see what the doctors say Friday. They’ll give me a better timetable. 
But I’ll go crazy if I have to sit out two or three weeks.”

to read more click here: Journal-News.Com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails